Why the Greeks Didn't Fare Well

Per Jim, after looking at the pics of the Temple of Demeter:  I think the reason the Greeks didn’t fair well is that their buildings fell down all the time and they didn’t have a roof.

To which I responded:  I think they were at a disadvantage with a country of 80% mountains, stony soil and insufficient natural resources to gain enough wealth.

To which Libby responded:  I beg to differ, they didn’t fair poorly, they are still here, so I would consider them successful.

To which I also now point out: birthplace of democracy, philosophy and other great thinkers. And whose house is supposed to last a millennium?  Honestly, what human made structures in America have endured as well? Some Mayan ruins.... wood rots, bricks crumble. Ideas last.

These pics are from a nature preserve at the southern end of the island which had an unfinished  hotel which was abandoned.  It is know the site of some amazing wall art.



Comments