Sourdough Thermometer

 In the local museum, I learned about this:  

With a freezing point of -75 degrees, Perry Davis’ Painkiller was the lower limit of makeshift Yukon thermometers.  It was never this cold in the Klondike.  (However, our host tells us that last winter a good stretch was at 40 below, and even at times 50 below). However, mercury freezes at -40, so is not as useful.  A lot of the early prospectors stayed in canvas tents, and were unprepared for winter temperatures.

In the image, there is a bottle on the left that says Davis.    

So, I had to look up Perry Davis’ Painkiller.  This link below was particularly interesting.  It’s a mix of alcohol, opiates and herbs.  I bet it kills the pain.  And helps you sleep through the night.   Of course your toes are frostbitten in the morning in your canvas tent….I am sure it is the HERBS that are the active ingredients.  

https://www.museumofhealthcare.ca/blog/the-story-of-perry-davis-and-his-painkiller



Comments